Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Or are the grapes toxic to them?


Can Dogs Eat Grapes? If you’ve ever wondered if dogs really can eat grapes, the answer is a resounding no. Indeed, as you may have heard, grapes are highly toxic to canines. Although they are good for us and hard to believe, this is totally true.

Why can’t dogs eat grapes? The problem is inside the grape and also the raisins, they have a highly toxic substance for the canine organism, but about which not much is really known.


If your dog eats a grape or two, nothing happens, the problem comes when he ingests large amounts. Grapes pose a real danger when the dog eats more than 35 grams of grapes or raisins for each kilo of its weight, and even more if the dog already has previous health problems. Thus, for example, a 12-kilo dog eating half a kilo of grapes can pose a health hazard.

Of course, each dog is different. Depending on his stamina, constitution, and other factors, he will react differently to the danger of a dog eating grapes. Although, as we say, not much is known, it has been observed that the consumption of grapes and raisins causes kidney damage in dogs, leading to kidney failure.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes

When eating grapes or raisins, the discomfort of the dog begins in the stomach and intestines and later progresses to kidney failure.

Typically, the dog will vomit within two hours of eating grapes. Then diarrhea and lethargy begin, with a constant feeling of great thirst. After 24 hours kidney failure appears, which can worsen in the following days.

The dog feels a pain in the gut, loses its appetite, and feels depressed from discomfort. Vomiting may continue, in addition to shaking. Hypovolemia occurs, a reduction in blood plasma and the dog urinates less frequently.

What to do if your dog eats grapes

Can Dogs Eat Grapes

Surely we have already amply answered your question about whether dogs can eat grapes, but probably now a new question has arisen … What if he eats them by accident? What do I do?

The first thing you should do if your dog eats grapes is to induce vomiting. A good option is a saltwater. Take a glass of water and add two or three tablespoons of salt. Stir well and fill a needleless jeriguilla with the mixture. Put the jeriguilla in your dog’s mouth and empty the liquid quickly so that it comes out under pressure and down your pet’s throat. In about 10 minutes, your dog should try to vomit. If not, repeat the process.

Another option is to try to get him to eat burnt bread. It will cost you because it is not rich, but it will act as charcoal, which serves to reduce the absorption of the substance of the grapes by the kidney. Right after giving your dog the burnt bread, or if you find that you can’t get it, don’t let time run out! Go without hesitation to the vet and tell him what happened. Your dog will need intravenous treatment to cleanse and balance his body. If you have not been able to eat the bread and vomit, tell the vet and he will try another method. It is very important that your dog is free of the toxic substance of the grapes, it must be removed from his body as soon as possible.

My dog ​​has eaten grapes. What do I do?

The first thing you should do is find out how many grapes he has eaten and if the dog has not vomited on his own, help him vomit. For this, it is best to call your veterinarian and follow the instructions that he gives you.

If you have eaten a large number of grapes, go immediately to your veterinarian to perform a stomach lavage and begin to treat it to avoid kidney damage and failure.

There is no home treatment that you can use with your dog, it is absolutely necessary that you go to a veterinarian.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes

Common symptoms in dogs that have eaten grapes

If you suspect that your puppy has eaten grapes, but you are not sure, you can observe him see if you notice any of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting and/or gagging
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst
  • Urinating excessively
  • Clumsiness, lethargy and/or apathy

Any other symptoms that are not described but that are strange in your dog should be considered as a possible confirmation that your dog is intoxicated by eating grapes.

In short, should I let my dog ​​eat grapes?

Many people do not know that dogs cannot eat grapes, much less that they are so dangerous for them. Of course, there are dogs that may be lucky enough not to suffer so many complications, just get sick for a few days with diarrhea or vomiting and then heal. For others, on the other hand, it can be fatal, especially if it is not treated. So do not hesitate to react to this problem as soon as possible to solve it.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles