Can my dog pregnant: When we have a dog at home it is very common that many doubts arise when talking about its reproductive cycle, since if you want to dedicate yourself to legal upbringing or if you have a dog without castration or sterilization and want to prevent a pregnancy, surely, you will be interested Know when you can get pregnant and when not. The heat is the phase of this cycle where the dog could get pregnant. Before your dog is pregnant you must assess whether you can really take care of the puppies that are going to arrive, since you must be a responsible caregiver and provide them with everything they need, otherwise you will have to prevent your dog from becoming pregnant.
In this article by uncommon we answer a very frequent question about this topic: can my dog get pregnant on her bleeding days? So, read on if you want to know more about zeal in bitches and if they can get pregnant when they are bleeding or not.
- What is and how long does a dog’s zeal last
- Can my dog get pregnant on her bleeding days? – the answer
- When can a bitch get pregnant?
- How to know if my dog is pregnant
- Should we cross a female dog at least once because she needs to have puppies?
What is and how long does a dog’s zeal last
The heat of a dog is the stage of the reproductive cycle in which receptive presents males and can get pregnant. This cycle is similar to the women’s cycle, but in the dog, it can be seen only 2 times a year and has 4 phases.
When females are sexually mature, between 6 and 10 months in small breeds and 18 and 24 months in large breeds, a certain time comes when a first sexual cycle begins. The FSH hormone rises, stimulating the maturation of the ovarian follicles. These follicles increase their size on the surface of the ovary and begin maturation of the oocyte (immature ovum). The ovary synthesizes estrogens. During this period called protestor, vulvar bleeding and attraction to males are observed due to pheromone production.
After this phase, which lasts about 9 days, there is a peak of LH (stimulating estrogen levels), which causes ovulation, about 24 to 48 hours later, that is, the release of the oocyte into the uterine tube. Once there, the oocyte continues its maturation for 2 or 3 more days.
The heat or estrus begins with the peak of LH, a hormone that intervenes in the sexual cycle of the bitches, and lasts between 5 and 10 days, which are where the female accepts the ride, facilitating it by pulling the tail off when the male approaches and even some females are the ones looking for the male. The vulvar bleeding of a dog may disappear immediately or it may last a few days after the beginning of this phase. So the zeal of a dog lasts between 5 and 10 days.
After ovulation, the follicle becomes a corpus luteum and begins to produce progesterone. This corpus luteum will remain for about 2 months, that is, 60 days. If the female becomes pregnant, the hormone progesterone will help the uterus stay in condition for the pregnancy to continue. On the other hand, if the dog has not become pregnant, nothing can happen or else, these elevated levels of progesterone may result in a pseudo-pregnancy, which can cause problems in your body. This period is known as right-handed.
Finally, the corpus luteum retracts and, in this way, the ovary is in a state of rest for a few months, typically 4 months and that’s why they have 2 jealousy a year, which is what lasts for anestrus, until a New cycle.
In these other articles of a COMO, you can expand the information on How is the heat in dogs and how long does a dog’s heat last.
Can my dog get pregnant on her bleeding days? – the answer
It can be summarized that the cycle of a dog is divided into 4 phases :
- Proestro: is the stage that precedes the zeal. The female attracts males but she refuses them. It starts when it bleeds and the inflamed vulva can be seen. Its duration is 6-11 days. If your dog has this symptom of swelling, we recommend you also read this other article of a COMO, since this symptom may be due to more aspects of your health: Why does my dog have an inflamed vulva.
- Estro or zeal: the dog allows the ride and the bleeding can still remain the first days, although with a darker color and more abundant amount. It is at this stage that the fertile days of a dog are located and can get pregnant. It lasts for 7-9 days.
- Right-handed: he no longer accepts the male. Gestation occurs (in case the fertilization of the ovule has occurred). Its duration is 58 to 60 days.
- Anestro: this is the inactivity phase. It begins with childbirth and ends with a protestor. It lasts for 4 or 5 months.
If you are still wondering when a dog is fertile, you should know that the answer is 11 days after vulvar bleeding, that is, during the estrus phase. In conclusion, a dog can YES get pregnant on her bleeding days, since the bleeding can remain at the beginning of the estrus, the fertile period of this. Although, of course, this is not always the case because in some dogs the bleeding may stop at the beginning of estrus and, therefore, not reach fertile days.
When can a bitch get pregnant?
As we have mentioned before, the sexual maturity of a dog is reached between 6 months and the year depending on the breed and the size of it, it will be since then that you can get pregnant.
If you want your dog to get pregnant or avoid it, you should look at her vulvar bleeding. 7 or 11 days after starting to bleed is when it will be fertile (when heat or estrus begins), so if the intercourse occurs, you will become pregnant. There are some bitches that almost do not bleed so there are a number of symptoms in which you can look to know that your dog is in heat and can get pregnant.
- Swollen nipples: there are times when the nipples swell, although this can also indicate a psychological pregnancy.
- Mood change; The dog is more excited than normal, which attracts males.
- The sudden interest of males: you can see that males approach her and smell her.
- Vulvar inflammation: the vulva is inflamed days before the heat and during this, although in some dogs it is barely appreciated.
- The outside of the reproductive system is licked.
- It can also be observed that he urinates frequently, to inform the males that he is ready to mate.
- When a dog wants to mate, it keeps its tail upright and moves it from side to side to attract the male.
How to know if my dog is pregnant
When a dog is pregnant, various hormonal changes occur and, therefore, symptoms will appear that can help you determine if your dog is really pregnant or not.
Physical changes that indicate that a dog is pregnant
When a dog becomes pregnant, it undergoes different physical changes in its organism that will help you discover if your dog is pregnant. These are some of these physical changes:
- Increase of the size of the gut: after a month you will notice that the gut of your hairy swells or increases in size. So if you notice that your dog’s gut grows and is bulkier than the previous week it could mean that she is pregnant.
- The nipples change: your friend’s nipples will become darker and will enlarge. This symptom indicates that your dog is in gestation and is preparing to breastfeed her babies.
- The breasts become inflamed: one of the first changes observed in a pregnant dog is the inflammation of the breasts. So if you notice that these are liked or swollen surely your dog is pregnant.
- Vaginal discharge may change: you might notice that your dog’s flow changes color and consistency and also increases its quantity. The color should always be transparent or a little white but never red as during estrus.
How to know if my dog is pregnant: her behavior
You must be attentive to the behavior of your hairy friend since in addition to physical changes you can also see changes in her behavior.
- The appetite changes: at the beginning of the pregnancy of your dog there are many hormonal changes that in turn produce that it is almost not hungry. Do not worry, as the days go by your appetite will increase and you will be asked for food.
- Preparation of the nest: it is possible that after two months after intercourse, your dog will start preparing the nest so that her babies are as comfortable as possible. For this, you can see that it scratches the floor, cushions, blankets or the wall.
- The energy decreases: the gestation process and subsequent pregnancy cause the bitches to be more tired, so if your dog was very active and suddenly you notice that she sleeps a lot, think about the possibility that she may be pregnant.
If you suspect that your dog is pregnant, go to the veterinarian as soon as possible since he will tell you the food that suits her and her puppies, as well as the care she will need during pregnancy and after delivery.
Should we cross a female dog at least once because she needs to have puppies?
Many people still believe that health or behavioral problems may appear to their dog because of not crossing it once in their life. The reality is that this is a MYTH and, in fact, there is no need to cross a dog and get pregnant at least once, since they do not need offspring to be healthier, they simply need a happy life, in which they give them a lot of love and their basic needs are covered.
So if you do not want to cross your dog because you are not a legal breeder, absolutely nothing will happen or have problems due to not crossing it or sterilizing it. In fact, if you are not going to raise legally and, therefore, your dog will not have offspring it is recommended that you sterilize it and we encourage you to discuss it with your veterinarian. We also consider it important to remember that for a long time, it is illegal to raise dogs or other animals without the necessary legal permits.