dog with diarrhea eat? Our dog can also suffer from gastric conditions that lead to diarrhea, a picture that always causes concern in the owners because they do not know why the animal has soft stools and how to help it improve. Of course, first of all, it is important to be clear about the possible causes of this condition and act by offering the animal everything it needs to stay nourished and hydrated while this condition is maintained. Therefore, in a COMO we explain in detail what a dog with diarrhea should eat and when to consult the veterinarian.
- Most common causes of diarrhea in dogs
- Suppress food for 12 hours
- How to hydrate a dog with diarrhea
- What to feed a dog with diarrhea
- When to go immediately to the veterinarian?
Most common causes of diarrhea in dogs
As with humans, any radical change in the dog’s diet, the intake of any foreign substance or the presence of parasites and bacteria, can cause diarrhea, so it is important to be vigilant and try to discover the origin of this condition.
Some common causes why your dog may have diarrhea are:
- Intake of some foreign or toxic substance, of garbage or of some broken food. Eating any of the toxic foods for dogs can also cause stomach upset.
- A drastic change in the diet of the animal: moving from one brand to another, from feed to canned food or from feed to homemade food can cause intestinal disorders.
- Presence of bacteria or gastrointestinal parasites.
- Food allergies
If you suspect that your dog has ingested a highly toxic substance, such as poison, a cleaning product, etc., it is essential that you take it immediately to the veterinarian, as your animal may be in serious danger. In addition, trying to find the cause of diarrhea in the dog will be of great help to promote recovery.
Suppress food for 12 hours
If we do not know why the dog has diarrhea or suspect that it is due to the intake of some food broken down or inappropriate for the animal, the first thing we should do is to suppress any type of food for 12 hours. It is important that the dog discard everything that is in its stomach before offering other meals, in this way we can determine if diarrhea has been a punctual episode or there are many continuous bowel movements that indicate a more serious problem.
How to hydrate a dog with diarrhea
While a dog with diarrhea should be fasting for 12 hours, it is essential that the animal consume plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Therefore, it is recommended:
- Change the water at least 3 times a day to make sure it is fresh for the animal.
- If the dog refuses to drink, approach him and offer him ice cubes to lick, this solution will help keep him hydrated.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to your dog’s water, this will stimulate him to drink, because the sweet taste attracts the dogs a lot.
- Prepare a homemade broth only with chicken and some carrots, without salt or condiments of any kind. Strain the broth and reserve the chicken, use this broth to serve your dog and make him drink the liquid, this will help him recover and hydrate effectively.
What to feed a dog with diarrhea
If after 12 hours, and after hydration, your dog’s diarrhea has stopped, then it is important to introduce the food little by little, always in several doses a day, as the animal’s stomach is very sensitive.
If you wonder what a dog with diarrhea should eat, it is best to opt for a soft diet, so you can:
- Serve a small portion of cooked rice without salt or seasonings accompanied by some shredded chicken prepared without any seasoning. The portion should not be large and ideally, serve two or three servings throughout the day so that the dog is eating slowly.
- Chicken broth is also a good option. You can prepare it with vegetables such as carrots or squash, without salt or condiments and always without onions or garlic, as these foods are toxic to the dog.
- If you do not want to abandon dog food or do not have the necessary time to cook, you can always resort to foods specially designed for these animals and formulated to treat these types of problems. A clear example of this is Naku, a brand specialized in the production of dehydrated natural dog food. All its products are fresh and fit for human consumption, a fact that guarantees its quality and excellent results. It also allows you to offer these animals the contribution of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates that your body needs to stay healthy and strong. To prepare it, simply add the amount of water indicated on the package to rehydrate the food. In this way, we are not only giving our dog a very nutritious food, but we are also providing him with that extra hydration that he needs so much after having overcome a diarrhea picture. Now, what product to choose? Naku has created a range of products formulated to treat all kinds of gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea in dogs,
- In addition to preparing a soft diet, it is essential that you continue to hydrate your dog, remember that this is important for you to recover completely.
When to go immediately to the veterinarian?
There are cases in which we must act quickly if our dog has diarrhea. That is why we recommend you visit the veterinarian immediately if your animal:
- It weighs less than two kilos, in this case, it is not convenient for the dog to fast.
- the dog after 12 hours of fasting continues to have diarrhea.
- diarrhea is accompanied by vomiting, fever or bloody stools.
- If the dog with diarrhea is also apathetic, weak and does not play.
- When we suspect that diarrhea may be the product of the intake of a toxic substance, a chemical or a poison.